October is Energy Awareness Month and the United States Department of Energy Federal Energy Management Program. Look for ways to save energy which saves you money. Other benefits include a cleaner environment, more resources for future use, and less dependence on foreign resources.
Learn more at the Federal Energy Management Program web site.
Here are a few actions that can help save energy:
- Wear appropriate clothing for the season so the thermostat can be set lower or higher.
- Open blinds/drapes in the winter to allow to heat rooms but closed is summer.
- Group errands into one trip to save wear and tear on the vehicle.
- Use cruise control on interstates with light traffic and set to near the speed limit.
- Walk or bicycle to destinations to help burn calories and save fossil fuels.
- When appropriate use muscle power in place of machines to help fight obesity.